The first time I had waffles made from scratch I couldn’t believe my taste buds. These crispy, airy discs of golden brown perfection could hardly be considered to be the same species as the frozen yellow “waffles” from the store. Give this recipe a try and tell me what you think!
How to make homemade waffles
Start by separating the egg whites and yolks. There are fancy kitchen gadgets to do this and apparently there’s also some technique which involves juggling the yolk back and forth between the cracked halves of the shell. What do I do? Well, since I’m using fresh eggs from my own chicken flock I simply crack the egg into my clean hand, let the white run off into a bowl, and set the yolk in another dish. Ta-dah!
Heat up your waffle iron. I have this one (affiliate link).
Next, put the egg whites into your stand mixer. Turn it up all the way and get busy measuring out your dry ingredients. Check back periodically. You’re waiting for the egg whites to become meringue. You’ll know it’s ready if you lower the bowl and a stiff peak forms in the meringue (or you can barely beat it out of the whisk). Scrape out the meringue into a bowl and set aside in the fridge.
Measure and mix the dry ingredients together.
Put the egg yolks into the mixer with the beater attachment. Add the vanilla and the oil. Beat until combined.
Add a little of the dry ingredient mixture, then beat well. Add a little of the milk, and beat well again. Alternate dry and wet ingredients until everything is combined.
Now fold in the meringue. The meringue is the key to awesome waffles. It’s what makes them all light and crispy.
Ladle some batter into the waffle iron and cook for 5-7 minutes or until there is barely any steam coming out of the iron.
Serve with your favorite toppings.
Airy & Crispy Waffles
- Waffle Iron
- Stand Mixer
- 2 eggs yolks & whites separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup oil light-tasting olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Add egg whites to the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment and beat until stiff peaks form. Place meringue in a separate dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder.
- In the bowl of the mixer combine egg yolks, vanilla, and oil.
- Add about 1/2 cup of the flour mixture and beat to combine. Then slowly pour in about 1/4 cup milk while the mixer is running. Alternate adding dry ingredients with the milk, beating well after each addition.
- Scrape the bowl and then add the rest of the milk, beating until well combined.
- Fold in the meringue.
- Use a ladle to scoop batter into the hot waffle iron and cook for approximately 5 minutes or until there is barely any steam coming out of the waffle iron.