I don’t think there’s anything that spells the start of summer more than the not-so-humble strawberry. And what better way to celebrate than with this quick and easy strawberry tart?
Strawberry Tart with Whipped Cream
- 1 lb strawberries hulled and sliced
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp flour rounded
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed but still very cold
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3-4 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Toss strawberries with sugar and flour in a bowl until completely coated. Set aside.
- Place the sheet of puff pastry onto a baking sheet.
- Pour strawberries onto the center of the dough. Fold dough edges up towards the center, pinching together cracks.
- Sprinkle puff pastry and strawberries with a bit of sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the puff pastry is puffed and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of a stand mixer combine heavy cream, vanilla, and sugar. Beat with the whisk attachment until whipped cream forms.
- Allow the tart to cool enough to touch*. Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream.
This sweet, red berry is a favorite of Little Miss. She just loves them baked into a tart and topped with homemade whipped cream. To tell the truth she likes her strawberries pretty much anyway they’re served.
In June we go out each afternoon and pick the wild strawberries growing in our western pasture. The bite-size berries are sweeter than anything you can buy from the store, maybe even sweeter than a sun-warmed strawberry from your own garden. We collect as many berries as we can hold and eat them fresh by themselves or tossed into our morning oatmeal.
We planted out some everbearing strawberries into one of our raised beds this year. Hopefully they like their new home and give us lots of fruit all summer long! Next year we will likely expand the strawberry patch to include some June-bearing strawberries as well. You can’t have too many strawberries, right?
How to Make This Strawberry Tart with Whipped Cream
Slice your strawberries.
Toss with sugar and flour. Set aside to get all sweet and sticky.
Line your baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and lay the sheet of puff pastry on it.
Pour strawberries onto the middle of the puff pastry.
Fold edges towards the center, pinching any cracks closed.
Now put it in the oven to bake and start on the whipped cream.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together on high vanilla extract, heavy cream, and sugar until stiff peaks form. Be sure to sample the whipped cream. Quality control and all that.
Take the tart out of the oven. Some like it hot, some like cool. Serve it however you and yours prefer it.